On July 12th I ran the LiveStrong Challenge 5K. I set my personal best time, so I think it's safe to say I'm completely physically recovered from the surgery.
The day before the event I was reading on the web how they have kids handing yellow roses to each cancer survivor who crosses the finish line. I told my SO Ben how cool that sounded and that I kind of looked forward to getting my yellow rose.
He started telling me that I probably misread the page, it's not every finisher that gets the yellow rose, it's only the cancer survi... oops. He stopped at that point, because he remembered that, in fact, I am a cancer survivor. The funniest thing is that I kind of understand why he "forgot" because I kind of forget a lot as well. Survivor seems like it should only apply to people who came within inches of dying, and I don't feel that was anywhere the case with me. But of course everyone who had cancer and is still alive is a cancer survivor...
Okay, so that event went very well, and a few weeks later I was at an event where a bunch of people hadn't seen me in a year. A lot of them came up to ask how I was doing, how my health was and at first I couldn't figure out why - yep, I also managed to forget that I had "the big C-word" and that they were concerned about my state of health.
Which is, of course, 100%.
In two days (Monday morning) I go to see Dr. Greene for my first post-surgery cystoscopy. If I don't have any recurrence this would be the first of about 14 over the next five years. Well, unless they discover a non-invasive test that's just as reliable...
Next update: Monday 11am.
No comments:
Post a Comment