I had my 9 month routine check-up today.
The 3 and 6 month check-ups were completely clean, so I guess I fully expected that this one would be too, even though according to research the recurrence rate is high:
"The recurrence rate for superficial transitional cell cancer of the bladder is high, and as many as 80% of patients have at least one recurrence"
Somehow though, I convinced myself that I would fall in the 20%. Especially after the first two follow-up visits came up all clean.
I'll post some additional details later, but the summary is I've had a recurrence. They are small (one small and one tiny) and appear to be the same low grade (less dangerous) kind as before, which is what was expected, and the surgery which will probably be in 3-4 weeks is expected to be even easier/quicker than last time. I will probably get a course of different chemo intravesically after this surgery to reduce the chance of another recurrence further.
That's all the news that's fit to print for now.
Tuesday, February 16, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
The second TURBT is much easier, primarily since you now know what to expect before, during, and especially afterward.
Here's hoping your second is your last!
oh fuck cancer. yeesh. good luck with all of this and hopefully it'll get the hint after the next round of surgery and stay gone.
Post a Comment