Monday, March 30, 2009

Whom to tell

I've been struggling a bit with the whole "whom to tell" and "how to tell" business. It's my nature to be pretty open about things, especially with my friends, and it's not like there's a stigma attached to cancer, especially when it's not one you can "give" yourself (smokers *are* at higher risk for bladder cancer, but I've never been a smoker, if you don't count all the second hand smoke from those bridge tournaments in the 80's before they banned smoking there).

But it's hard to tell people, especially face-to-face because, well, some of them are going to be upset by the news, even though the prognosis is likely very good, it's still a pretty big, ugly thing, and now that I'm starting to calm down about integrating this information myself, I feel like if they get upset, I'll get upset and I don't really want to get upset about it.

So this blog seemed like a good idea to refer people to for more details than what I'd share (and to keep from having to repeat myself, because I have a lot of friends). On the other hand, it seemed like a pretty impersonal way to actually first tell someone about it.

So my plan is to tell folks first - some by email, some by IM, some by phone, some in person, and then use this place to keep everyone up to date on how things are progressing.

If you found this URL before I had a chance to tell you about what's going on with me myself, my apologies, it was not my intention to let people know _about_ this via this page, just the details and FAQs, as they are.

I'm not planning on emailing every mailing list I'm on with the news though, nor do I plan to twitter about it, so I guess it's very likely that I'll miss telling some people and they'll find out from someone else.

Oh well!

No comments: